Wednesday, July 11, 2012

B-Cycle comes to Kansas.

This past weekend I spent quite a bit of time huddled over my desk. "How is that any different from every weekend, Britt?" you ask. Well, it isn't. But this time I was working on an illustration for the cover of The Pitch! The Pitch is a pretty awesome looking paper from Kansas city. I'll be honest, everything I know about Kansas fits into a movie. You know the one. So I was glad when AD Ashford Stamper sent me something familiar: Bike share! Toronto has an awesome bike share program, I believe called Bixi, which is actually the second program of its kind to be implemented here, the first of which failed pretty miserably I think. I remember back in school, I actually made an illustration for an imaginary bike share program. (I would link to it, but it seems to have been wiped off the face of the internet, probably for the best.) Kansas is implementing B Cycle/the B bike, which isn't the prettiest thing, but I think it's built to be the proverbial "Brick shit-house". Anyway, without further ado:







Wanna get to see these WIP's in real time? Follow me on instagram (britterson) I'm always posting new drawings, doodles, and paintings in progress. 

Speaking of working, this is what my new desk area looked like around 7am Sunday morning, as I was settling in to work for the day. I only get sunlight until about 7:30am, and then it's gone for the rest of the day. I absolutely hate it, so I get up extra early to take advantage of my oh so small amount of natural sunlight time.


I've been using escargot platters from Canadian tire (like $4!!) for palettes recently, and I'll never go back to the disposable ones, or the shitty plastic things ever again. The ceramic palettes are so much easier to clean, and just so so so much nicer in general.

OK! Don't forget today is the last day to register for this week's Character Design 101 COMIX CLASS  (<--click there) as the class is tomorrow. If we aren't already full (I don't think so) then we'll still be accepting drop-ins. BUT there is a cap on the # of kids we can fit, and that I'm prepared to corral.

4 comments:

  1. What brand of drawing board is that? I've been looking for one of those portable slanted ones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it doesn't say anywhere on it, and it was given to me by a friend. It does have a handle, but it's hella heavy, I wouldn't really want to lug this thing anywhere. Totally negates my drafting table though, which is great, saves me a lot of space in my TINY studio.

      Delete
  2. this is local to me! I thought I recognized you, and then I checked and was pleasantly surprised.
    (note however, this part of "kansas city" is in missouri. cOnFuSiNg)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I think that was kind of my point, I only know about Kansas the state, nothing at all about either really. It's pretty dang awesome you recognized my work, gives me a little happy glow.

      Delete