Friday, January 20, 2012

Holiday cards, 2011

There's only one or two people who haven't seen this yet, so I think it's safe enough to post now!

After not having one or a few years now, I decided this year to make Christmas cards. I always seem to be so busy come November, and this year was no different, so I didn't have the time I would have liked to illustrate a card. I decided to go with a two colour block printed card to save a little time. I cut the designs out of a couple different softoleum blocks, and used THIS Speedball press to print a bajillion copies. Then I personalized each card with a message inside, practising my calligraphy skillz.




Then I couldn't find envelopes I liked enough that weren't stupid expensive, or online and wouldn't arrive in time. So I found some really giant sheets of paper at my favourite local art supply. I modified a template of another envelope I had, and cut them all out myself with an exacto knife. Then I address each one all fancy and mailed them out in small batches.



I'm hoping to do things like this more often. I do really love sending and receiving good old fashioned snail mail. I'm also growing much more confidant with calligraphy and hand lettering script, which is very good since I plan on addressing all my invitations (for the wedding) myself. Who knows, if I'm good at it, maybe I'll look into doing that sort of thing on commission!

2 comments:

  1. Your lettering is so stunning!!! Whoah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are excellent at calligraphy/handlettering! It was so wonderful receiving one of these, I am CERTAIN you could make money from these (Wedding invites/cards alone?! Definitely.)

    ReplyDelete